The UCity Summer Band is roaring back after a two-year hiatus!
The 2022 season will be Tuesday evenings at 7pm.
June 14, 21, 28, July 12, 19, 26.
The 100-member (give or take) UCity Summer Band is... Light Classics, Marches, Patriotic Music, Show Tunes, Transcriptions, Popular Music, Jazz, and Original Music for Band.
Concerts will be held at our venue in Heman Park, 1028 Midland Blvd, University City, MO 63130 (park entrance is off Midland, opposite Shaftesbury).
All concerts start at 7PM, last about 60 minutes, and include a short intermission. Seating is on the lawn. Bring a lawn chair or blanket as available seating is limited. Bring your children! Bring a picnic!
For our last piece each concert, we play "On the Mall." Children are invited to come up to the front and conduct the band and receive their very own UCity Summer Band pencil!
Open Position: Music Director/Conductor for the University City Summer Band starting 2023
The University City Summer Band seeks a new Music Director/Conductor starting 2023.
About the U City Summer Band:
Over 90 volunteer instrumentalists from all walks of life make up the complete roster of the University City Summer Band with 60-70 performing at each concert. While primarily adults, some college age students and select high school students are included in the makeup of the band. Many of our members participate in other community bands and orchestras in the St. Louis region. The band performs 6 concerts on Tuesday in June and July, with a rehearsal the prior Monday. The University City Band is overseen by a Board of Directors.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Experience directing a high school/college band.
• Prior Community Band experience.
• Conducting and organizing skills to manage and conduct a large concert band.
• Ability to organize structured and efficient rehearsal schedule.
• Ability to establish a good personal/working relationship with the members of the band and the Board of Directors.
This position pays $2,500/season and the duties include, but may not be limited to:
• Responsible for the overall artistic needs of the band.
• Select a yearly theme (optional) and music for all 6 concerts.
• Procure the music and in conjunction with the librarian (who organizes folders).
~The majority of music has been borrowed each summer from Kirkwood and Ladue high schools, UMSL and Lindenwood Universities, Meramec Community College, Chatfield Lending Library and other sources as needed.
• Provide input/content in creating a printed program.
• Formulate program notes for each concert.
• Set the calendar for June and July.
• Reserve 560 building for all rehearsals and Heman Park for all concerts in consultation with the board president.
• Arrange for any soloists.
~A fund is available for paying soloists.
• Apply for and submit a Missouri Arts Council Grant Application/other relevant grants.
• Persons interested in applying for this position should send a resume and cover letter to the attention of the UCity Summer Band Board, [email protected].
For more information or questions, use this email as well.
• Application materials should be submitted by May 15, 2022. However, applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Now you an securely donate to the band online using PayPal. Note that you do NOT need a PayPal account to use it.
DONATE button at top right of page. .
The University City Summer Band is a production of the University City Music Company, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. Donations may be tax deductible.
Monetary support comes from the generous donations of businesses and friends of the U City Summer Band like you!